August 13, 2011

My Week as Guest Designer at Our Creative Corner

Peaches, plums, cherries, blueberries - who doesn't love the bountiful Summer fruits found fresh at the local markets!   This week's inspiration challenge at Our Creative Corner is by far my favorite.  It invokes some wonderful memories.

As a little girl, my grandparents had a small orchard.  I remember my grandpa picking me up to pluck off plump, juicy cherries from one of their trees.  I was scared of the ever-present  bees swarming around the nectar of the "fallen."  I would eat handfuls of cherries while sitting on my grandpa's shoulder, walking back to the house. 

I used these memories, along with the inspiration picture, to make my card for this week's challenge.

I started with a piece of botanical pp. I detail-cut out the bird, leaves and cherries scene from the whole piece of paper.  I lay that down on the white cardstock.  I took my polka dot paper, ran it through my CB with the frame die and distressed it with Tea Dye ink.  I slipped that under the botanical pp.  Next to that, I slipped in the blue gingham pp that had been distressed with the Wild Honey ink.  And the final piece on this part of the layout is a corner of white cardstock stamped with a honeycomb stamp using Wild Honey and Tea Dye ink. Then I stamped the bee over that. 

I used the Silhouette machine to cut out a pair of basket weave photo corners in a maize cardstock.  I gave them some dimension by daubing on Tea Dye distress ink.  Next I sprayed them with Glimmer Mist.  While they were drying, I painted a few of the cherries and the bee with Glossy Accents.  I put one of the photo corners in the upper left of the card front.


Next, I zig zag  stitched down the right side of the card front and then used a distressing tool all around it. I placed the rub-on on some cardstock and then slipped it under a leaf and on top of the photo corner.  I placed the other photo corner on the bottom left of the card front.

The next piece is white cardstock stamped with the canning jar stamp then detail-cut out.  I stamped the sentiment on that.  I sprayed it with Glimmer Mist and when it was dry, I glazed it with Glossy Accents.  I used foam dots to give it dimension and tack it down to the card front.

For the last step, I glued some crocheted lace under the bottom of the card front and glued that to a piece of dark red cardstock.  I finished the whole card off with a distressing tool.

I would like to thank the gals over at OCC and the whole DT for their inspiration and encouragement!  It's been a wonderful experience.  I will keep pushing myself to try new techniques through all the challenges you put out there!  Bless all of you from the bottom of my heart!

Thanks so much for looking!!  I would love if you left me a comment!  Also, if you aren't a follower, I would love if you signed up. Lots of new ideas and projects coming this way!

Supplies:
Bazzill cardstock
Memory Box blue gingham pp
DCWV Botanicals pp
Tracy Ann Digital red polka dot pp
Tim Holtz Distress Inks – Wild Honey, Tea Dye
Glimmer Mist - Sunshine
Stazon black ink
Silhouette Studio basket weave die cuts
Sizzix frame back, ornate #8 die
Stamps - Bee stamp, Ala Art; Honeycomb stamp, Impress Rubber Stamps; Canning jar stamp, Ala Art; Sentiment stamp, Flourishes
Glossy Accents
Rub-on - Royal & Langnickel
Crocheted cotton lace – my nana’s sewing box
Pin It

No comments:

Blogging tips