March 08, 2010

Paper Flower Embellishments

Have you noticed how expensive embellishments have gotten? I've been playing around in my studio making my own. Buttons, old brads, ribbons, charms, and even paper, have all ended up in my new embellishment stash. I'm sure many of you have seen these flowers before, but I came up with my own version - prettier than most I've seen elsewhere.


This is the stack of 6x6 inch paper I took from stack packs (mostly from Basic Grey) I hadn't used in a very long time. It's a quick and perfect way to use up that paper.


Next, I took THIS Sizzix die and cut out my flower design in one of the patterns of paper. I then cut it out in a companion paper. I matched up the papers and lined them all up before I began, to keep track of my pairs.


Then I took the flowers and crumbled them up, as you see here. It's easier if you do them all at once. I sit and crumble these or assemble them almost anywhere. Love to multi-task! Now take a break because your hands will be sore, LOL! This is when I coordinated my brads to my flowers.


I filled my Mini Misters 3/4 of the way to the top and added Perfect Pearls (about 1/8 teaspoon). My favorite colors are kiwi - a pale golden green, and blush, a pale ballet pink. Shake VERY well. I held the crumbled flower in my cupped palm and sprayed with the Perfect Pearls - about four times.  Working quickly, I did about 6 flowers at a time. I then used a heating tool and aimed it into the center of each flower. You can see the flower shrink up into a pretty layered bloom.

Once the flowers were dry, I poked a hole in the center of both petals and attached brads to each flower, securing them together. I then used chalk ink and distressed the edges of each bloom, including the inside petals.


Another option, is to spray the completed flower with Walnut Ink. It gives you an aged, vintagey look, which I love.



And finally, here is my card with the finished flower.


I really hope you try this easy project. I can see using them for many different things, like a pretty flower topiary, barrettes, scrapbook pages, mini albums, and hostess gift packages, just to name a few. Thank you for viewing my first demo and please don't forget to leave a comment.

Hugs,
Marcy Pin It

No comments:

Blogging tips